Monday, February 27, 2012

In Memory to My Mother

I chose the poem In Memory to my mother, I chose this poem because I thought it was a really powerful poem. The part of the poem that painted a picture in my mind was mainly the part that said "Where is your grave" it paints a picture of a lonely gravestone, in the middle of a field. I also thought that the questions at the beginning of the poem was a great way to start the poem. Something that makes the poem seem gloomy is a " a rainy autumn day" This gives the impression that the day was already quite gloomy, and it adds to the desperation of the situation. "Your eyes as green as emeralds" was a simile that I found in the poem, it makes it seem as if the girl was analyzing her mother deeply as she was taken away. Another simile was "Silent like a stone.". " It pierced my heart and made it dry is one of the metaphors in the poem. "Those dizzy eyes" is another metaphor. I wondered when it said that the mother pressed something into her palm, what it was that had been pressed into her palm, the mood of this poem was very depressed, and sad and heartbroken. I was a little confused where it said about a nightmare that was true, because I was not sure if here she was dreaming or not. When it said that countless lips whispered help but didn't make a sound it meant that no one listened to the pleas for help. " O No, It can't be told" This is sort of like the saying a picture is worth a thousand words, or seeing is believing/understanding. A part of the poem that really stood out for me was the first part, " Where is your grave?Where did you die? Why did you go away?" Because it sounds like a young girl who can't understand why anyone would do anything that cruel, an can't understand why she was forced to endure this torture, and she is stricken with grief that her innocent mother has been taken away. The only personal connection I could make to this terrible thing is in a nightmare, when I was little I was always haunted by horrible dreams where a masked figure came and took my mother away and I always woke from these nightmares crying ( was only 5 or 6 ). Of course that is nothing to what happened to Sonia Weitz, but its the closest personal experience I have. This poem made me feel heartbroken, and I was really sad for Sonia Weitz, and it made me imagine what it would be like to lose my own mother in the own way, and it made me even sadder.

1 comment:

  1. Grate ! I loved it ! I like how you told your and I loved your connection it is kind of what happend to Sonia. I did not notice much but maybe you could summarize what the poem said so that the reader can understand more. Other than that I loved it <3 <3

    ReplyDelete